March ... the month of Mars


Mars. The Roman god of war. 

Sometimes, the way the March winds blow makes us wonder if March is at war with itself. Other times, the month is sunny and peaceful, represented by March's flower, the daffodil.

Here in Texas, things begin to green up. The grass begins to grow, trees bud out, and the sun is not only higher in the sky, but it sticks around longer, too.


Speaking of Texas, the newly formed country declared its independence from Mexico on March 2, 1836. Today we celebrate that day as Texas Independence Day, even though it is no longer an official holiday. Also in Texas, March is the month for spring break. And the beginning of bluebonnet season.

For all, March 17 is St. Patrick's Day--the day we're all Irish, even if we're not. And what's St. Paddy's without at least one green beer?

March is also the month for all basketball fans. The excitement and tension brought by March Madness crackles through the air and spurs conversation even among strangers. 

Like candy? There's a Mars Bar.

Moving along... there is also a day of the week named for Mars.

Wanna guess?

Got your answer?

The first English word for Mars, the god of war, was Tews. In English, we call Mars' day Tuesday. In Spanish, the day is Martes. French is Mardi, and Italian, Martedi.

Were you correct?

What's your favorite thing about March?

How about Tuesday?

This was fun, but enough research for me today.

Be nice to each other out there. I'll see you back here in April.

Hugs,

Carol

Comments

Karen Baldwin said…
Love March. Spring! And love blue bonnets. I'd never seen them before until I visited my daughter in San Antonio one March.
Things are greening up here for sure.
I don't watch pro basketball anymore but I enjoy college games.
And Tuesday is bagel day!
Bish Denham said…
Yesterday, things got kinda warm up here in the Hill Country. 86!! And still so very dry. Redbuds, agarita and mountain laurels are all starting to bloom. A bit early I think. Spring is definitely my favorite season.

March 6, the fall of the Alamo.
Natalie Aguirre said…
It will be awhile before things green up in Michigan. My late husband was from Texas and thought of Texas as a country.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Things are turning very green here. But we might still have an overnight freeze right up until the first week of April, so no planting anything yet.
Carol Kilgore said…
Karen - I love bluebonnets ♥

Alex - Hurray for Bagel Day!

Bish - Very few things are blooming here, but some of our roses are. We had to turn on the air conditioner already.

Natalie - Both sides of my family have been in Texas for over 150 years. It sometimes feels like its own country with all the unique things about us. Most states are like that, but there are a whole lot of Texans in Texas. Maybe that's what makes the difference.

Diane - It could still freeze here too.

Jemi Fraser said…
My favourite part of March is that the snowbanks do their slow disappearing act. They're currently over 5 feet high in our yard, but hopefully will be gone (or much shorter) in a few short weeks :)
March is when the days start to cool down but not yet we are in for some scorchers this weekend
Carol Kilgore said…
Jemi - Yikes! That's a real snow job :)

Jo-Anne - Stay cool.
Melissa said…
My favorite thing is the (usually) mild weather and the budding flowers and greening plants. My least favorite thing is the pollen.
Carol Kilgore said…
True! Me, too. I'm allergic to so many different things, I sort of just throw various pollens into the mix. I use Flonase and keep a good supply of tissues at the ready :)
I had no idea that was the origin of Tuesday. Ha!
Carol Kilgore said…
Lynda - I didn't know either until I read it. Feel free to steal it for use in one of your books :)

.