This blog date is August 4, 2021. Today is also the anniversary of the founding of the United States Coast Guard, which was signed into law on August 4, 1790. Happy 231st birthday USCG--Semper Paratus!

My novel Solomon's Compass is a Coast Guard story.

And the best thing about the Coast Guard? My husband. Proud wife of a U.S. Coastie. Retired.

August 4 is also National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Notice how the Coast Guard emblem is round... like a chocolate chip cookie. Coasties are smart like that.

In real life, last month, I had a hard time staying focused. The launch of Gracie and the Trouble with Pinatas finished up. I was behind in everything, or so it seemed. I'm still behind, but I have marked two large projects off my to-do list. Only two more to go. I'm happy to say I have also actually accomplished some writing on my new book during all this catching up.

Once I'm caught up, I hope to be able to stay that way for at least a little while. And if I get behind again, I hope it isn't as far behind as I was a couple of months ago.

My wish is a happy and productive August for all of us.

What have you been doing this summer? Or winter, if you're in the southern hemisphere?

Stay safe out there!

Carol

Comments

Good luck catching up!

Thanks to your husband for his service!

I'm working on a couple of books right now and hope to stay on schedule despite a few things that will likely pop up.
Yes, big thanks to your husband. That is the toughest military job out there. Now, pass the cookies.
Rachna Chhabria said…
You must be a proud wife. Wishing you both good health and a long life.
Jemi Fraser said…
Chocolate chip cookies are always welcome!
You hubby had an important and dangerous job - time to enjoy retirement!
H. R. Sinclair said…
A special day indeed! Congrats on catching up, hoping you stay that way. :-)
Natalie Aguirre said…
Yes, thanks to your husband for his service. I'll eat a chocolate chip cookie today with no guilt. Thanks! Hope you get caught up.
Congratulations on approaching the (to me) almost mythical state of caughtupdom.
And thanks to all those who serve - including those who bake. My calendar told me that yesterday was chocolate chip cookie day - and I can think of much worse things to celebrate. The calendar was quiet about the Coast Guard though.
Carol Kilgore said…
Elizabeth - Thanks. After I get these two big projects completed, my new goal will be keeping current. That's often difficult, but maybe I'll be able to do it better this time.

Alex - The Coast Guard is filled with exceptional people. Here's your cookie :)

Rachna - I am very proud of him. Thank you for the good wishes. I wish them back for you.

Jemi - Here... have another cookie :)

HR - I'm not quite there yet, but I sure do hope I can keep better caught up than I am now. I don't like playing catch up.

Natalie - Oh yeah - guilt-free cookies are the best!

EC - I wouldn't mind if Chocolate Cookie Day was celebrated every day!
Leigh Caron said…
My respect and appreciation to your husband for his service. YGreat that you got some projects off of your to-do list. Mine never ends.
Liza said…
I have coasties in my family, too. A toast to them all...with milk and chocolate chip cookies!
cleemckenzie said…
A salute to the Coast Guard on their anniversary, and another to your husband. Do you think there will be enough cookies to go around?
Melissa said…
I've been doing pretty good by making lists and getting tasks done, but my writing has suffered as a result. The 1100-word chunk I wrote this past weekend was an anomaly.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I hope Gracie had a great release.
Carol Kilgore said…
Leigh - Projects are never-ending, for sure. Small to mid size I don't mind as much. These are huge and have lingered almost a year now. I just want them done and gone.

Liza - Here's to all Coasties everywhere. And thanks to all of you for your thanks to my husband. He's pleased.

CLee - So far the cookies are holding out :)

Melissa - Every little word counts.

Diane - Gracie's release was awesome. She says hi.
I've been struggling to stay focused too. I blame it on being stuck in lockdown, lol. Now I have a craving for a choc chip cookie...
Carol Kilgore said…
Lynda - I've been craving a chocolate chip cookie since I wrote this, LOL. I think lockdowns and everything else to do with covid are part of everyone's problem right now. This virus is no one's friend.

.