Cozy On Up To This... Or Not

 I have a problem. 

When I write, I don't seem to be able to stick to one genre. Or at times, even two.  

The overall mystery genre is filled with several sub-genres, and I sure can't stick to one of those. Here's a perfect example: 

Jalapeno Cupcake Wench - Amazing Gracie Trilogy Book 1

A reviewer named Shelby says: Mostly this is a solid cozy with some romance and worth reading if you’re into the genre. 

Same book, from a different reviewer named Sabine: First a warning to my cozy mystery friends at Goodreads. Despite the look of the cover this is not a cozy! There is also a sex scene in it.

There are other reviews for all three trilogy books with comments scattered from cozy to thriller. The words, scenes, plot, and story are identical, but the readers are different.

Labeling the story, especially when more than one genre and/or subgenre are mixed and blended, seems to be in the mind of the reader.

If you've read any or all of the Gracie stories, where do the books fall for you along genre and/or subgenre lines?

For readers, does it bother you if a book's storyline doesn't slide neatly into a fixed genre? Or do you prefer to follow the story to see where it leads? Or do you fall somewhere in between?

Want to join in the great cozy debate? It's easy. Read the book. Then pop over to Amazon and/or Goodreads and let others know where you think Gracie belongs on the wide-ranging mystery scale.

For me, the moral to this story is that when life gives you options... take them all! 

To prove this, I decided to write another Gracie story! I know you've heard rumblings about another Gracie book. They're all true. Gracie will be back in June with a totally new adventure in a standalone Amazing Gracie Mystery. All your favorite characters will be back plus a few others.

The cover and title reveal for the new book will be Wednesday, June 5. I think you'll like it. Gracie approves :) 

Hugs,

Carol




Comments

There are cozies that are a bit edgier. You could list your books as "for fans of Janet Evanovich," since hers qualify as "not quite cozy" (and she's certainly done well for herself!)
Jemi Fraser said…
Elizabeth's comment is great - totally agree!
Identifying genre isn't something I'm great at - my own books are romantic suspense with humour and lots of happy and not so much edgy stuff... never quite know how to identify them!
It's difficult for me to write one genre because I love reading nearly everything. However, I think it a compliment when someone says your book is a cozy. Also, I stopped trying to figure out genres. It seems they either change or are added to. On this, I'm no expert in helping on this one.

Teresa
Natalie Aguirre said…
I really like books that combine genres, like a fantasy that has a mystery to solve. Congrats on writing a new book in your series.
I much prefer my reading to cross/meld genres. I don't like formulas and any book which sticks too rigidly to genre conventions falls into that category for me.
And, as a thought, each and every reader brings something of themselves to the table, which is part of the reason that each and every reader gets something different from a book - or any other piece of art.
Carol Kilgore said…
Elizabeth - Great idea! Definitely one to think about. Thank you :)

Jemi - You know what I mean! It's difficult at best. Makes me want to pull out my hair, LOL.

Teresa - It's not easy being a writer. But I wouldn't trade :)

Natalie - Thanks! More to come next month.

EC - Very true about readers bringing themselves to the book party. Thanks for the reminder :)
Liza said…
I think you show your breadth as a writer when you switch things up a bit.
Mason Canyon said…
I’m with E.C. I like books that are a combination of genres. Kind of like life is- a good mixture of things.
I definitely don't mind when a book blurs the line of a certain genre, but there are sticklers out there who want to know exactly what they're getting because the formula is their favourite. Each to their own.
Books can cross lines. You just have to let them know it's a bit sexy. And then after that, don't worry about it.
And sorry, but this post just showed up in my Feedly this morning!
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Another Gracie story - fun!
H. R. Sinclair said…
I mostly like books that blend genres. I think it add a interest and intrigue.
Carol Kilgore said…
Liza - Thanks for your kind words. I usually feel as if I'm not doing something right.

Mason - I try to write a true-to-life story, even if they do have ghosts and other paranormal elements. Go figure, LOL :)

Lynda - Yay! Good to know :)

Alex - No worries!

Diane - I hope so!

HR - Me, too. Guess that's why I write the way I do.

Jo-Anne - I hope so!
Janie Junebug said…
I don't think much about genre. I like to read blends.

Love,
Janie
Carol Kilgore said…
Janie - Thanks. I'm feeling better about being all over the place :)

.