Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2020!

Not just a new year, but a new decade. I wonder about a lot of things, but now that we are once again in the '20s, I wonder if the fashion industry will dress us in a "new look at the 20s" with a revival of the flapper look? Will raccoon coats return? Mary Janes and cloches? Time will tell.
2019 passed in a whirlwind. Our year was filled with major ups and downs, including the death of a close family member and a major move from San Antonio to the Houston area. I’m hoping for a much calmer and happier 2020.
So many of you have asked when my next book will be out. Since I haven’t actually written novel words on a screen since April, it won’t be anytime soon. However, I plan to start writing again this week, God willing. So look for something new from me either this fall or next spring. Probably next spring, since I write slower than a lazy snail.
You’ve also asked if there will be more Gracie books. I’m happy to tell you YES! The book I’m working on now will be another Gracie book. It will follow the story timeline but will be a standalone novel. Feel free to pass this news along.
A couple months ago I shared photos of my writing room. My sanctuary :)

When we moved, we also moved some of our plants besides the Thanksgiving cactus I shared with you previously. Over the heat of the summer, most of those plants spent long, hot days on a shady patio with only a little attention here and there. I'm thankful they're Tough Texans, too, and hung on.








In order: a baby from our bird of paradise now blooming in January instead of October - that's okay... it can bloom whenever it wants - and there is another visible bud not shown in this picture; the last of our jalapenos; the anthurium my husband gave me for Valentine's a couple of years ago - also showing a new bud; the plumeria stick... oh, but when it blooms :) ... beautiful. And a newcomer: we planted a magnolia tree, our departed son's favorite.

Also, apologies to those who commented on my blog last month who I didn't respond to or visit. I just saw your posts the other day. This Christmas season was super-hectic and I simply just did not even have time to think about checking my blog again after that first day or two. I will do better this month. This year.

I wish all of you good health and happiness throughout this first year of a brand new decade.
I will be back here on Monday, February 3.
Love and hugs,
Carol

Comments

What's slower than a snail? That's my writing pace.
Good to hear you're back in the writing zone. Hope 2020 is a good year for you.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Beautiful plants. I would've killed them for sure.

Excited about another Gracie book.
Murees Dupè said…
Wishing you a brilliant 2020 with lots of happiness. I'm so sorry for the loss in your family. Great that your plants survived. Wishing you tons of happy times in your future.
Carol Kilgore said…
Alex - It feels good! Hope 2020 is good for you, too :)

Diane - Thanks. I truly expected all of them to die.

Murees - I wish the same for you!
Health and happiness to you and yours for the coming year(s).
Love that you took some garden with you. A big hooray for another Gracie book to look forward to - in the fullness of time.
H. R. Sinclair said…
I totally want to flapper look to come back! I hope '20 is calmer and happier for you, '29 was a tough on.

That's a gorgeous bird of paradise.
Carol Kilgore said…
EC - Gracie and I aim to please :)

H.R. - 2019 was definitely a tough year. I always thought the flapper look was cool, so I hope it does come back in some way.
Jan Christensen said…
Glad to see your blog post to start off the new year and decade. Love your plants! Hoping the new Gracie novel goes fast for you this time around. Will be following your progress. Peace.
Natalie Aguirre said…
Sounds like you had a year of lots of life changes, not all happy ones. That can be hard. My late husband was from Texas, so I know how hot it gets there in Texas. Hope you have a happier 2020!
A happy post for a happy new year all the best from me
Carol Kilgore said…
Jan - I appreciate your good wishes.

Natalie - On the flip side of all that summer heat, our springs, falls, and winters are pretty fantastic :)

Jo-Anne - Thank you so much! Much appreciated.
Jemi Fraser said…
So sorry for your loss, Carol - sending hugs & hopes 2020 is kind indeed!
Your plants are gorgeous.
Looking forward to more Gracie :)
Jan Morrison said…
So sorry you've had a tough time, but it seems you are as resilient as your beautiful plants.
Hope you are loving Houston and your writing flourishes.
Bish Denham said…
I too am glad 2019 is gone. Here's to budding plants and a New Year.
Carol Kilgore said…
Jemi - Thanks all the way around. Gracie is getting impatient :)

Jan - Just gotta do it, Jan. The wheels keep turning, but it took a little while for me to see them. Houston is way different from San Antonio, but it's still Texas :)

Bish - Yes! I'll raise a glass to that!
Best wishes getting back into writing again. May 2020 be a whole lot more settled and calm for you.
Here's to an outstanding new year for all of us! The idea of the roaring twenties works just dandy for me, because I missed out on them the last time around. Besides, I'm a natural flapper... with so many jiggly parts, stuff is "flapping" on me all the time. :)

Rachna Chhabria said…
2019 did speed by super fast. Hurray for more Gracie books!
You have some lovely plants.
Julie Flanders said…
Sorry 2019 was a tough one for you. Here's hoping for a much better 2020. Great to hear there will be more Gracie! And that you are getting your writing groove back. Take care and best wishes for a peaceful start to this new decade.
I'm the slowest writing snail on the team. I hate that about myself, but YOU get to writing. There are fans who need you. :)

Teresa
Carol Kilgore said…
Lynda - Thanks for your good wishes. Much appreciate them and you!

Susan - You're so funny! I have plenty of jiggly parts of my own, but I love that whole 20s look and I might even buy some flapper dresses instead of pants if they come back in style.

Rachna - Gracie is pushing hard for me to start. Sometimes she's not very understanding about real life demands, LOL. My plants thank you :)

Julie - Last year was one of the worst ones in my life. There haven't been too many bad ones, and I hope it's a long time before there's another one. Glad you're looking forward to seeing Gracie again.

Teresa - I so wish I could write faster. Even slightly faster would make me happy :)
DMS said…
Happy New Year!

I hope it's a great writing year for you. I know I am hoping to get a lot of writing done in 2020. I am a slow writer, and when I don't have a lot of time in my schedule with my day job and other obligations- it can be tough!

Those plants are superb that they stayed alive in the Texas heat! Yay!
~Jess
Carol Kilgore said…
Jess - I'm the same with writing when my schedule is loaded with other things. When I write, I have the plot but the story develops organically as I write, and many days I can't see far enough down the road to continue. I still love it though ♥
Melissa said…
Oh, Carol, I live in Katy. We might be neighbors! LOL Maybe we can get together sometime.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the move wasn't too traumatic.
Carol Kilgore said…
Melissa - Thanks. We're much better. I'm going to message you on Facebook.

.