For Everything, a Season

I truly intended to blog in October. After all, it's the month of witches and ghosts, vampires and zombies, pirates and pumpkins... you see where I'm going with this.

But I forgot. Plain and simple.

We moved - and moved and moved and moved, or so it seemed. Then to get over the move, we went on vacation. By the time we returned home, we were exhausted. And boxes still sat in every room. There was just too much to do; and apparently my brain sent blogging down the chute that said "two weeks" because it was mid-month before it even became a thought.

But I'm back now. Totally.

I wish I could say the same about moved in, but almost totally will have to do for a while. The only way our guest room will get done before January is if someone calls and says, "I'm coming to visit."

Here are some photos to show you part of what I've been doing during my half-hiatus of blogging. These shots are of my writing room, where I hope to be spending way more time over the coming months and, you know, actually writing a new book. What a novel idea!

Entrance to my Writing Room

Where the magic happens - aka the torture chamber

Window view from the entrance side

Storage Cubes across from my desk


View from the back door



Yes, I've gone from writing in a wide-open space to having a proper room with two doors!

Here are close-ups of some of my treasures you see scattered about.



The Coastal Connection Books


Anthologies my stories have been included in


The Amazing Gracie Trilogy

A Somewhat Spotted Owl


Ceramic Great Dane


A Pair of Toucans

A pear on the wall outside my back door

Now that you've seen where I hope to spend a lot of my time going forward, I'm excited to tell you about a recent book I read by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer titled Agnes and the Hitman. It was on sale, but I think I fell in love with this book from the title alone. It drew me right in and I could hardly wait to find out what someone named Agnes would be doing with a hitman in her life.

This is the first book I've ever read by either of these authors. Although I am social media friends with Bob Mayer/Cool Gus/Scout, I don't "know" him like I know most of you here. I wouldn't contact him with a 'Hey Bob' kind of message.

Anyway, back to this book. It rocks! Checks all my boxes:
fun / sexy / suspenseful / a solid mystery / romantic / filled with surprises / great characters / twists and turns / and food, too, for a great bonus!

When I reached the end, I learned these two authors teamed up for two other books, Don't Look Down and Wild Ride, which I purchased at full price. These books are all ten or so years old. I promised myself I'd read two books in between Agnes and the next one, so I'm less likely to compare them, but my hopes are high. I'm almost finished with the second in-between book and hope to finish before this blog goes live. I'm not sure which of the other Crusie/Mayer books I will read next, but I'll let you know.

Agnes and the Hitman was a real treat for me. Check out the "Look Inside" feature at Amazon and see what you think.


I'll be back here on Wednesday, December 4. See you then!




Comments

Your writing room looks great! Classy. Somewhat spotted owl and all.
Don't worry about the guest room until you have a guest.
Glad you're back!
LOVE your writing room. Looks peaceful but too clean. Throw some paper around and pile it. That's what mine looks like. Paper is my nemesis in the new "paperless" world.

Teresa
Bish Denham said…
Ohh. I think I'm jealous of your new writing room. So spacious and airy and bright. May it bring you hours of inspiration and many words!
Rachna Chhabria said…
Your torture chamber looks good and so does the spotted owl. I love the white curtains.
Ooooh.
Your home looks lovely.
Smiling at Teresa's comment about paper though.
Paper and books are piled high throughout our home the ambiance of which could best be described as cluttered and dusty.
Natalie Aguirre said…
I love your writing room. It's beautiful. Hope you get all moved in and have more time to enjoy writing in it soon.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Such and elegant and organized room. Mine is organized, but packed to the gills. It would scare most people.
Jemi Fraser said…
Love your torture chamber & all the fixings! You're going to write many more amazing stories there! :)
cleemckenzie said…
A beautiful place to create stories! Congrats on moving and surviving. That is a major undertaking.
Your new writing room looks great!
I love all your paraphernalia... some charming pieces!
"Hard work must have killed someone." Love it. *hee hee*
Carol Kilgore said…
Alex - Thanks. Happy to be back.

Teresa - It only looks this way because I just finished putting it together before I took the pics. I haven't worked here yet :)

Bish - I love airy and light ♥

Rachna - Our new home came with zero window coverings. I hate dusting, so I didn't want blinds. These sheers were inexpensive and a good choice for me.

EC - It will certainly be cluttered in here once I start writing. I'm liking the sleek look right now because it won't stay this way. I wish it could, but I don't see how. We have books in every room, too, but not too much other clutter yet.

Natalie - I hope so, too :)

Diane - I need white space in rooms just like I need it on the page.

Jemi - I hope so!!!

Lee - We started packing in March. Move out was in July. Move in in August. With any luck, we'll be completed in December. Except for that guest room :)

Michelle - I'm glad you like that little sign. Husband bought it for me. I think it was a message, LOL!
Jan Christensen said…
Looking great! I love all the "little" touches and know you will enjoy your private space soon. Glad you're at least back to blogging. Carry on!
Good to hear you've mostly settled in. I love the pics :)
Liza said…
Glad you are settling in to your new home and writing space. It looks lovely!
Carol Kilgore said…
Jan - Thank you! It feels good to be back. Hoping back-to-writing occurs soon :)

Jo-Anne - Glad you enjoyed the tour!

Lynda - Thanks. I'm not as good a photographer as you.

Liza - Thank you. I'm happy to finally be here.
Denise Covey said…
Thanks for sharing Carol. Your new home looks lovely, especially your writing room. May you tap out many exciting tomes there! Jennifer Cruisie is a very popular author, I thought mainly romance. These books sound good. So, a title captured your imagination. Titles are so hard.
Murees Dupè said…
I love your writing room. A place to write to your heart's content. A place for all your writerly things. Perfection. You are such a lucky woman😉
Carol Kilgore said…
Denise - I agree about titles. For me, I have more success with ones that come right away. If I have to agonize over one it's never as good. It seems to lose its snap.

Murees - Wish I could write to my heart's content! Husband, family, dogs, laundry, food, and the list goes on. However, I agree I am very lucky in many ways. Not so lucky in others... just like everyone else.
Your new writing room looks fantastic! But with a room like that to inspire you, we're all gonna expect even more and better books from ya. :)

I've read several of Crusie's books. Tawna Fenske turned me onto her some years back... said she was her favorite rom com author. But that was before Tawna's first rom com was published, and now she's MY favorite. :) (If you've never read any of Tawna's books, check 'em out. Hot, sexy, and funny as all get-out. She's the queen of double entendre and sassy dialogue.)
Carol Kilgore said…
Susan - I hope my writing room pans out :) I’ll definitely check out Tawns’s books. Thanks!
DMS said…
Congrats on the move! It looks like you have made a lot of progressing making your new pad a home. Love your writing room! It looks beautiful! Happy writing!
~Jess
Carol Kilgore said…
Jess - Thank you. Yes, we've come a long way, but still have a bit more to tackle. We'll get there!
I love you,
lil, human female.
-God

.