Caution: Writer at Play

Truths and consequences of being a writer - in no particular order:

  • I have a thing for alliteration. I'm working on it.
  • Writing is the hardest job I've ever had.
  • My quirky side gets to come out and play every day.
  • I get zero time off.
  • It's often more difficult to make decisions In Real Life because more possibilities present themselves automatically without me trying to think of them.
  • I have no idea how characters get in my head.
  • Writing is the funnest job I've ever had.
  • My intuition about people I meet face-to-face has become nearly spot-on. At times, it's scary. Then to keep things real, I'll be way off on someone. Or two in a row.
  • I love learning the story.
  • If I go too long without writing, I get really cranky.
  • Writing isn't work as long as you love doing it.
  • I often stare at people and don't realize I'm doing it at first.
  • When I'm researching, my tangents have tangents and those take me to some amazing places. They also take me offtrack. I love research because I love learning new things.
  • I'm a top-notch procrastinator. I could teach a class.
  • Writing keeps me sane.
  • I've learned to trust that when it's time to write, the words will come. They may need changing, but the thought will be there.
  • Being the quiet girl always reading a book turned out to be a good thing.

What have you learned from writing?

In other news:

Secrets of Honor will be on sale for 99 cents from Monday, June 17 through midnight Sunday, June 23.

Kat Marengo never imagined the government would teach her to be a thief. But that's just what happened when she joined Homeland Security. Even so, she had no right to possess for even a short time the two diamond rings now resting in the hidden pocket of her dress. That was a problem. The next morning, she wished the problem had stopped there. 




I'll be back here on Monday, July 1.



Comments

We could teach that procrastination class together.
Natalie Aguirre said…
Sign me up for the procrastination class too. Awesome that you still love writing. I do agree with you that it's a hard job for many reasons.
Karen Baldwin said…
LOve your list. All, so true. And me too on procrastination
Rachna Chhabria said…
Wow..you have learned quite a bit from your writing. Alliterations are my favourites too. And I'm quite good at procrastination :)
H. R. Sinclair said…
Awesome list. I too love alteration. I don't understand how people cannot like it?! Yup, writing is one of the hardest, most fun things to do.
Carol Kilgore said…
Alex - Cool. We can talk about that later :)

Natalie - I do! I like playing with people in my head.

Em-Musing - The great thing about procrastination is that you can do it whenever you want, LOL :)

Rachna - Procrastination must be a favorite writer pastime :)

H.R. - I know! Free, fast, and fun :)
cleemckenzie said…
This is an absolutely perfect list for writers. It's a keeper.
L. Diane Wolfe said…
Zero time off! That applies to publishers, too.
I am a procrastination queen. I have few talents, but that is most definitely one of them.
And huge thanks to all writers. You enrich and educate my world.
Great list! I have a feeling most of your bullet points apply to all of us. I like the research end of things so much, sometimes I think I enjoy it more than the actual writing. :)
Liza said…
I love finding out the story, too!
Carol Kilgore said…
Lee - Cool :)

Diane - I'm sure it does!

EC - Your WEP piece today was powerful. You're one of us, too.

Susan - Research is a love/hate relationship for me. I don't enjoy it at all when I try for hours and can't find what I'm looking for, no matter the search terms I put in. I think Google does that at times just to infuriate me, LOL.
Carol Kilgore said…
Liza - Your post appeared while I answering everyone above! The story is all-important to me, but I have to have framework to drape it on.
Jan Christensen said…
Writing keeps you sane? Ha Ha Ha!
Janie Junebug said…
I adore alliteration.

Love,
Janie
"Being the quiet girl always reading a book turned out to be a good thing." Ha! Me too!
A hearty toast to all quiet girls always reading a book!
"I have a thing for alliteration. I'm working on it." Ha! Me too! I love, love, love alliterative writing.
Carol Kilgore said…
Jan - I know, I know :)

Janie - Creating custom copy :)

Michelle - Raising my wine glass in a toast to quiet girls!
Murees Dupè said…
I love everything you said. And it is scary how spot on we can be with people. Like always, I think you are brilliant, and I always enjoy your posts, Carol.
Carol Kilgore said…
Murees - You think I'm brilliant?! Would you please tell my husband :) I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I enjoy your visits and visiting your blog.
I had a giggle at getting cranky if you've not written anything in a while. Me too!! lol.

What I've learned is that reading improves my writing, so sacrificing reading time to write is a mistake.
Carol Kilgore said…
Lynda - I agree. FYI-the first of the Templar books is now on my Kindle :)
Jemi Fraser said…
Lots of similarities here! I disappeared down the research hole the other day and couldn't remember what I'd started trying to find out! :)
DMS said…
I can relate to SOOOOOO many of these! I often am staring and don't realize I am doing it. I also fall down the rabbit hole of research a lot. :) The list goes on!
~Jess
Carol Kilgore said…
Jemi - Sounds like me :)

Jess - I think all writers are alike in a lot of ways.
Julie Flanders said…
I feel the same way about research. I love it for the same reason you mentioned, but it also can be a problem for me because I end up down so many rabbit holes I get too distracted to go back to writing. I need to find some sort of balance LOL.
Fun list! I hope your sale is a success and June is treating you well, Carol!
LD Masterson said…
I can relate to a lot of these but I don't need your procrastination class. It turns out I'm a natural.
Carol Kilgore said…
Julie - Thanks for the good wishes. So far, so good!

LD - LOL! Perhaps we should co-teach :)

.