Fairhope, Alabama

I promised you a Fairhope story today. I love the name of the town. It makes me smile.

Fairhope is located on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. We headed there Sunday morning a week ago. The weather was a little drizzly with a pervasive mist in the air when it wasn't thick enough to form drops.

We found the town without any problem, but although we'd been told that Fairhope was a must-see, from the highway it looked like any other small town. A sign pointed toward the downtown area, and we followed the road.

OMG!

Mounds of flowers everywhere.

Great little shops - most of them closed on Sunday. Anything you wanted. So we window shopped only by necessity. Antiques. Clothing. Eateries. Galleries. Jewelry. Pubs. A bookshop called Page and Palette.


We arrived about ten-thirty and parked near an OPEN - hallelujah! - coffee shop. One like this (but not this one because it was closed):


As we were coming in, a couple with a baby carriage was packing up to go out. The baby was six pounds of four-day-old cute-and-cuddly. Her name was Stella, and the couple were Stella's maternal grandparents. It seems Stella's Mommy called them, FRANTIC, because sweet, beautiful, and sound-asleep Stella had kept everyone awake all night. Grandma and Grandpa to the rescue!

We ordered coffee and settled in for a little people watching. People came over and talked to us - wanted to know where we were from. We struck up a little conversation with three ladies from Louisiana. From the North Shore - that's the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, one told me. One day I'm going to write about them.

They said they make it a point to go to Fairhope as often as they can. These ladies were in full make-up and nicely dressed. Watching them, I felt as if I were viewing an outtake from Steel Magnolias. I could've stayed and listened to them all day.

But, we wanted to see the town, rain and all, so we said goodbye. Here are some of the things we saw:


This mural extended almost the entire block
anchored by flowers at the corners.



I think more water was on the streets than in this fountain!



My favorite shot.

So I'll pass it on . . . if you're ever in coastal Alabama, go to Fairhope. It's a must-see.

You won't be disappointed.

Comments

Mason Canyon said…
Beautiful photos and a wonderful town. Looks like they really take care of their downtown area. I can see why the last shot is your favorite, beautiful colors.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress
Carol Kilgore said…
It's quaint and quirky and beautiful. Definitely a great place to spend a day or two.
What fabulous flowers. I hope I can visit it one day - preferably on a day when the town is open.
Joanne said…
What a picture-perfect, charming town. It says alot about its residents, to keep it so pleasant. It seems like everyone there would be happy :)
Elspeth Futcher said…
Enchanting! Thanks so much for posting these pictures...I shall return to them many times to rest my eyes.
Ann Best said…
I just love it when bloggers post such gorgeous photos. That with the commentary makes my day. Thank you!
Talli Roland said…
Beautiful! Thanks for the lovely photos, Carol!
Anonymous said…
Absolutely beautiful. If I'm ever down that way I'll be sure to do just that. :)
Carol Kilgore said…
Jane - I hope you can visit, too - let me know how the shops are inside!

Joanne - I agree :)

Elspeth - I'm happy you enjoy seeing them.

Ann - You're welcome.

Talli - Happy to share.
Helen Ginger said…
What a gorgeous tree...or bush...or whatever.

This sounds like a beautiful town with very friendly people.

Helen
Straight From Hel
Laura Eno said…
Thank you for sharing! It looks and sounds beautiful and friendly.
Carol Kilgore said…
Helen - It was raining, so I didn't walk across the street. I don't know what it was except gorgeous. The leaves were long and slender, so maybe it was an oleander trimmed into tree form. Not a clue.

Laura - Just that ... beautiful and friendly.
Aubrie said…
Fairhope is such a great name for a town, and the flowers match the name so nicely!
Unknown said…
Never been to Alabama, but it looks stunning!
Carol Kilgore said…
This little town certainly was.
Arlee Bird said…
Now I want to go back to Fairhope and check it out. The time I was there I was working. We rolled into town in the afternoon and stayed the entire time at the facility where our job was and left after it had gotten dark. I do remember that it rained very hard while we were there.
Maybe someday I can go back for a pleasure trip.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Carol Kilgore said…
I hope you get the opportunity to go back, Arlee.
Carol Kilgore said…
It truly was beautiful there. Better than my photos.
notesfromnadir said…
I love your favorite shot w/ the petals on the ground but most still in the tree. I can only imagine the aroma!

I guess Sunday isn't the best day for shopping in Fairhope. If I go it'll be on a Tuesday! :)
Carol Kilgore said…
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday would be "open" days with fewer shoppers than Friday or Saturday.

.