Roadie Food

My live-in handyman isn't fond of flying, so when we travel we drive. If possible. We also try to work in any number of side trips near our destination to get more bang for our buck.

I tell you this so you can more fully appreciate the story I'm about to tell you.

On this trip we drove. And it seems that every other state has monster work happening on the interstates with traffic backed up for literally 10-15 miles and crawling.

Lucky for us, the first back-up we saw yesterday was going in the opposite direction. So when we found signs on our side, we pulled out the map and found a back way. This is the reason it's taken us a few hours each day more that we planned to reach our destination.

Today we encountered another road work area and plotted our new course. No big deal.

When we travel like this, I don't like to eat because it makes me sluggish and sleepy. Plus road food is usually greasy and heavy. So I graze on junk food. Salty junk food because I have the opposite of a sweet tooth. And either water, or unsweet iced tea, or Classic Coke - fully caffeinated and sugared. This is the only time I ever drink any kind of soda. Or if I'm sick.

So today it's around lunch time. We're mid-detour. I grabbed a Coke and a bag of Doritos. My live-in handyman was driving, so I munched away. We came to a suburb. With traffic.

All of a sudden, my live-in handyman makes a right turn into a shopping center.

I grabbed everything to keep it from dumping on the floor. "What the--"

"Bakery." My live-in handyman does not have a sweet tooth. He has sweet teeth. Many.

He parked, got out, and was mid-swing in slamming the door when he asked, "Want anything?"

I guess my look was enough, so he went in alone. I pulled out my book and munched away.

Tap, tap, tap on the window.

Live-in handyman stood there with something mooshy on a spoon. "Try this."

"Cheesecake?" Now I may not have a sweet tooth, but I love chocolate, tangy lemon sweets, and good cheesecake. Emphasis on the good part. I don't crave them, but they're my go-to goodies.

I popped the morsel in my Dorito covered mouth.

Oh. My. God.

It was THE best cheesecake I have ever tasted outside of the boundaries of Manhattan. Hands down. Not from a five-star restaurant in a large city but from a side-of-the-road bakery outside Atlanta.

Kudos to the bakers by the highway in Peachtree City, Georgia.

Live-in handyman then went back inside to buy his goodies. He came out with three bags.

He handed one to me. It contained a box fit for a to-go salad. Inside was a huge slice of cheesecake.

I ate it all.

It was the perfect taste to go with Nacho Cheese Doritos and Classic Coke.

Comments

Scooter said…
Good Lord it IS in the genes. Never realized "us kinfolk" have the same taste for junk food, drinks, etc.
J.L. Campbell said…
I'm like your hubby. I have sweet teeth and cheesecake? Absolutely love it!
So glad to know you have my healthy eating habits! One of the highlights of visiting my sons at school is to stop off at the Culvers and Dairy Queen along the way! The cheesecake sounds much better though! Julie
Carol Kilgore said…
J.L. - It's been three years, and I still haven't found cheesecake any better.

Julie - Yea for roadie food!
Tami Brothers said…
Yummy! Love the Dorito covered mouth. :) Made me smile.

Now I'm hungry for cheesecake...

Thanks for a trip down memory lane. :)
Carol Kilgore said…
You're welcome, Tami :)

.