Happy September!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for tweeting, liking, sharing, voting, and otherwise spreading the word about the Kindle Scout campaign for Jalapeno Cupcake Wench. The support I received from everywhere was awesome. Y'all were amazing!

Still no word as to Gracie's fate, but if Kindle Press doesn't pick up the book, I will publish it myself in October. One way or another, you'll be hearing much more about its release next month.

I'm so excited for you to read these books, starting with Gracie the Wench :)


Meanwhile . . . how has your summer been?

Mine has been crazy. And continues to be.

In April, we sold our house and have downsized from two levels to one and from four bedrooms to three. Life without stairs is so sweet.

Thankfully, we found our new house within a couple of weeks. It's perfect! And only a little over a mile from our previous one. We closed on the sold house on May 1 and on our new one on May 15.

After a little pre-move-in work, we finished moving in on June 22. We're almost settled, but there are a few things we're waiting on. And a few large projects that we moved from the move-in list to the ongoing projects column.

The week after July 4, in the middle of unpacking fever, Live-In Handyman ate something that gave him food poisoning. It was not anything I cooked. Whatever it was, it knocked him for a loop for almost a week. Our food bill went down, but the wine bill went up for one of us.

During all this, I managed to make all the edit comments into the first Gracie manuscript, get it proofed, and submit it to Kindle Scout before the end of July.

Later this month, we're going to New England for about a week. I'm probably going to mostly unplug then--enjoy and live life. Hopefully recharge.

Because when we get back, two more edited manuscripts await. Plus the launch of Jalapeno Cupcake Wench.

And the beginning of the wild annual #Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/NewYear/10KilgoreFamilyBirthdaysin3monthsandapartridgeinapeartree season.

I'll be back here on Monday, October 2.

Happy Autumn!


Comments

Food poisoning sucks.
Glad you're all moved into your new digs now.
Hope you get good word on your book!
Julie Flanders said…
I am waiting to get an email from Kindle Scout saying the book I nominated was selected!! I will do a happy dance for you when that comes LOL. Seriously I hope you get good news soon, so exciting.
So sorry to hear about the food poisoning but you made me chuckle with the "not from anything I cooked" caveat. :D
Have a great trip to New England!!
L. Diane Wolfe said…
My wine bill would've gone up, too.

Hoping for good news soon.
Congrats on executing a move! Better you than I. (shudder) We bought this house in '71, and fortunately, it's mostly a one-floor ranch, so we're good to go. (The addition we added in '74 is two steps down from the rest of the house... no biggie.) This house was touted as a "starter" house, but it's gonna do us well as a "finisher," too. :)

You're picking a great time to go to New England. From what I've read, they're expecting spectacular colors this fall. :)

Still have my fingers crossed for ya. I hope the Kindle Scout deal works out for you.
Christine Rains said…
Congratulations on the new home! And enjoy your trip. Unplugging is what I'll be doing for a week next month. I always come back refreshed.
cleemckenzie said…
I'd say you have a bit to do! I'm shaking in my skivvies just thinking about having to move. I can barely pack a gym bag and take my clothes with me, let along pack a whole house. Hats off to you, girl.

I was happy to help with Jalapeno Cupcake Wench. I have to read that book and find out what's behind that delightful title.
You have been super busy.
I hope that Gracie is taken up - but will be happy to read her anyway I can.
Carol Kilgore said…
Alex - I'm glad to be moved in, too. Thanks for the good wishes!

Julie - I hope you receive that email! Yeah, I didn't want anyone thinking I tried to do him in, LOL :) Looking forward to New England.

Diane - I wasn't drinking alone, either. Technically, he WAS still there :)

Susan - I can't imagine living in one place as long as you have. The longest I've ever lived anyplace is about nine years. The longer I live someplace, the more I accumulate - even though I think I'm not. I hope we get to see lots of color. Thanks for the crossed fingers!

Christine - Unplugging usually works wonders for me, too. Enjoy yours!

Lee - Thank you! I hope you'll like Gracie's story.

Carol Kilgore said…
EC - We crossed! Gracie was such fun to write. I feel as if she's more than an imaginary friend. I hope you'll like her, too.
Jemi Fraser said…
Poor Handyman! Food poisoning is awful. Glad he's better.
Can't wait for more Gracie!!
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Glad the move went well and it is nice not having to worry about stairs. Congratulations on your new place and your new book! I'm sure it will be a huge success! Sorry your hubby had food poisoning, but I'm glad you nursed him back to health. Have a fabulous time in New England!

Julie
Mason Canyon said…
Glad to hear the move went ok and that Handyman is feeling better. Hoping you hear good news soon, either way it's going to be great.
Carol Kilgore said…
Jemi - I'm glad he's better, too. Also glad you're excited about Gracie!

Julie - I'm really a horrible nurse. No one would want to be my patient, LOL. We're really looking forward to our trip.

Mason - Thanks! I appreciate your support.
Moving is never easy, even when it's close. Yay that it went well for you. And wow you are so busy. Best wishes with everything you are doing.
dolorah said…
I'd never heard of Kindle Scout. I'm going to research it. Thank you for the tip. I hope Gracie does well at the press.

I hate actually moving; but I sure love exploring a new home. Always exciting. Glad things are going well for you, and that you have time for writing also. Have a good trip.
Nas said…
Awesome on all the great news on the writing front. I also moved into a new house but its bigger. And no stairs now. And I got a big room all to myself as my study!
Congratulations on the new home, Carol!
I hope you get some good news from Kindle Scout... soon. Fingers crossed. xx
Carol Kilgore said…
Lynda - Thanks! And so true about never easy.

Dolorah - Thank you for the good wishes for Gracie ♥ Kindle Scout was an amazing experience. I love the exploration part about a new home, too :)

Nas - Congrats on your new house! Hope you like single-level living as much as we do. I still don't have a door on my space, though.

Michelle - Thanks for the congrats and the good wishes for Gracie ♥
H. R. Sinclair said…
This summer has been busy for me too! Awesome on finding a place so soon. HA! I like how you point out is wasn't anything that you cooked that made your hubs ill. Oh poo, I just left New England!

Happy Autumn!
Cheers to a good summer (minus the food poisoning fiasco)! Glad to hear you were productive, and that Gracie will find a happy home regardless of what happens with the contest.

My summer has been far less productive, and at this point, I'm just happy to have a running computer.
Carol Kilgore said…
HR - Rats! Too bad we couldn't connect. However, we just returned and were busy the entire time we were there. Loved it ♥

Beer - Gracie will face the public soon! I read about your computer. Glad you're back in business.

.