Whatcha Gonna Do?

I try to post something about writing on Mondays, but I'm having a hard time getting my head to go in that direction this morning. My little brain is too scattered around the stacks of unwrapped gifts - which are finally all in boxes! - and strands of ribbon and rolls of paper to pay attention to me.

Every once in a while it flits over to my work-in-progress and sends me a quick IM about something or other. I'm hoping my subconscious is hard at work filing these snippets away and will retrieve them for me when the time comes in another week or so.

If nothing else, I guess my focus on Things That MUST Be Done has given the other part of my brain a chance to recharge. It most likely needed the vacation, but now I think it's starting to get bored.

Bored creative brains think up all sorts of nasty, evil, and fun things to do. I hope most of them are transferrable to my characters.

There are one or two, however. . . .

Comments

I find some of my best solutions to certain scenes come to me when I'm occupied with something other than writing. The problem is I then want to stop what I'm doing and start writing. Maybe that's the reason it takes me so long to get anything done!
Sheila Deeth said…
I'm still trying to write my hundred words a day, and mining Christmas greetings and conversations for ideas. Not much serious writing going on just now though, so I like the idea that maybe my brain's recharging.
Mason Canyon said…
So many things going on and so little time to do them. No wonder our brains are on vacation.
Carol Kilgore said…
Jane - Sometimes I stop, sometimes I'm so in the middle of something I can't. When I do stop, I find it's for longer than I think it will be.

Sheila - Good for you for your 100 words every day. Wish I could say the same thing this past week or two.

Mason - I think my brain is in the Caribbean.
Never fear; as the Things That MUST Be Done list dwindles, and Christmas and New Year recede, the natural order of things will return and your Subconscious will pour forth all it's been storing up.

Best Regards, Galen.

Imagineering Fiction Blog
Terry Odell said…
I'm a firm believer in the power of the subconscious. Today I was volunteering at the Sheriff's Office doing some backlogged filing, which didn't require much use of the creative part of my brain. But I had some good fodder for my writing.

(Like, what if you let some scatter-brained ditz into your filing system and left her there alone for 3 hours!)
Carol Kilgore said…
Galen - I love Christmas, but I'll be happy to return to my normal routine.

Terry - Good thing I haven't tried to file. Here lately, that scatterbrain ditz would be me, I fear.
Helen Ginger said…
Sometimes you just have to set aside the book. Maybe keep a tiny notepad in your pocket to jot a reminder down. Everyone needs a break now and then. In the end, you won't regret the mini vacation.

Helen
Straight From Hel
Carol Kilgore said…
Wise Helen. Thank you. The break has been good. I'm looking forward to getting back to that manuscript.

.